Monday, May 2, 2011

Back in business!

After a slightly worrying visit from the hydro folks on the weekend (they took one look at the lines, turned to us and said, "Well, how are we supposed to get to that?") our power is restored!

Thanks very much for all your kind words of support, encouragement and 'been there, done that' stories.

I learned a lot from these past few days: firstly, there is a big difference between essential and convenience. The generator only provided power to a few appliances; namely it kept the well pump running, the fridge humming and the sump pumping -- and that was enough to restore my sense of security.

Secondly, I loved the absolute quiet and the complete darkness, save for the gentle glow of candlelight. These three things provided a glimpse into a different world and time, and it was lovely, serene and deeply soul satisfying.

However, the most enlightening lesson was this: I don't respond well to surprises and uncertainty. I thought I was a "roll with it" kinda girl, but evidently I'm not. Not yet.

Experience helps deal with uncertainty. It gives you the information you need to make a plan for next time. For example, I've got a better sense of what preparations we should make before the power goes out again. I'll write more about this soon -- thanks, Amy, for the suggestion!

Experience also aids in confidence building; that regardless of what life throws at me -- even something as minor as a power outage -- I can deal with it. I can cope. It'll be ok.

And recognizing my tendency to "react first, think later" gives me the power to do something different next time. And that kind of power doesn't come from having the lights on.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Congrats! You came through it with style and grace, girl! You are right about how just a few things running can make it bearable, that's why we got the generator - if you have flushing toilets it's not quite so bad LOL! You are off and running with experience now, it's always an inconvenience, but every time it gets better :)

936000 said...

Yay! Glad to read (here and in your previous comment) you are all restored. I am most definitely not a roll-with-it person! The loss of electric I could cope with for a while, the loss of water just throws me into a tail spin!
Here's to a great week for you!
meggs.

Mama Pea said...

Ha! I'm with Calling Ravens. Don't know why but no electricity and I can easily cope. No water? WAAAHH! That really bothers me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails