Friday, February 11, 2011

Bulk store goodness & my soon-to-be first giveway

While my blog posts are often lengthy sagas (who knew someone could write so much about knitting one sock?) this will be a quick one: I've got a pile of work to get through, the barn is in a sorry state, I just picked up two more balls of sock yarn (I'm going to need a knitting intervention soon, I think!), I've got two kids that'll be home from school in less than three hours and I've got a date with my kitchen*. Oh, yes... I've been at the bulk food store.


I love the bulk food store with its rows of bins brimming with culinary possibilities. There's nothing prepared, no preservatives or additives -- just good old fashioned ingredients that encourage creativity in the kitchen.

I stocked up on some rye flour and Red Fife flour for some home-baked bread, rolled oats, nuts and raisins (golden ones, no less -- so sunny and cheery!) for granola, carob powder and poppy seeds for cookies (not together!) and I couldn't resist getting some delicious dried lavender blossoms. I'd like to make each of us an aromatherapy rice bag, perfect for taking away the chills or for soothing aching muscles. I've got to figure out a way to heat it without using a microwave -- perhaps a double boiler on the woodstove?

While I must dash, be sure to visit on Monday for my first giveaway! Curious? I'll give you two hints.

Take this...



and add some of this...



Have a lovely weekend!

* Just to be clear -- I'd much rather prefer a date with my husband, but it is the middle of a workday, after all...

4 comments:

Erin said...

Fiona, you sure are asking the wrong people for a fiber intervention.... CONvention, maybe LOL! What a great photo of you, I'm loving that you are back into blogging and seem to be finding time for newfound loves/hobbies! I wish we had a bulk food store... I store all my stuff in clear plastic containers so as soon as I get home from the store the empty packaging and boxes turn into a mountain on the floor waiting to be taken out... so wasteful!

fiona@fionacampbell.ca said...

CONvention -- wouldn't that be fun!! Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I'm enjoying blogging again. It's helping me find a bit more balance between work and life. We don't have a bulk food store in the village, so I have to make a trip into another "bigger" village (pop 3,500 vs our 1,500). It's a good excuse to stock up!

Mama Pea said...

Me, too, as far as loving to buy in bulk! It may be silly but when I bring home the bulk bags I feel like they are so much more "mine" than any stuff that might come into my kitchen in a commercial box or packaging. Make any sense at all?

I agree with Erin. So nice to see the happy photo of you in your happy garden. (You be one purdy lady!) Your daughter looks so much like you.

Please keep up finding time for the handwork. It encourages me!

fiona@fionacampbell.ca said...

Ah shucks, Mama Pea. What a lovely compliment. And yes, what you said about buying bulk makes total sense. When I'm selecting foodstuffs from the bins, I often have something in mind for them -- it's a much more creative act than buying from the grocery store. Ok, I don't think that makes much sense, but I've got granola in the oven and I'm in my office -- gotta fly!
P.S. More handwork? If you insist ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails