Saturday, January 29, 2011

Gettin' knitty with it -- A ribbed hat for Jack

Last Christmas, my dad gave me four hanks of lovely hand-spun wool that he'd purchased from a Port Hope, Ont.-based based family farm: Osland Sheep & Beef Farm, home of Cindy's homegrown yarn.


Jack has been asking for a new ribbed hat, so I thought this would be the perfect yarn for it. I found this pattern in Judith Durant's lovely One-Skein Wonders book, which has "101 original and charming solutions to the perpetual one-skein problem."



The pattern calls for a Cascade 220, 100% Peruvian highland merino wool, 3.5 oz (100g)/220 yards (201 m), but this worsted weight wool should sub in just fine.

Jack wasn't sure what colour he wanted, so we decided on a red main colour with a green stripe near the bottom. I started it last night and it's knitting up quickly on 4.5mm (US 7) circular needles.

His birthday isn't until the end of the month, so I should have no trouble getting it done well before then -- as long as I don't get too distracted by those new socks that I just cast on, or that simple oh-so-warm bulky cardi pattern I just found on Ravelry.com, or...

5 comments:

Erin said...

love the hat, I also received one skein of locally spun alpaca (my obsession) from my mom, haven't yet decided what to make with it, it's hand dyed with kool-aid, I can tell because I can still smell it LOL. What's your ravelry name? Look me up, I'm "modhousewife"!

fiona@fionacampbell.ca said...

Kool-aid? I haven't heard that one!

Gotcha! I'm "farmgrl" on Ravelry. I haven't filled out much of my profile yet -- I spend too much time oogling other people's projects!

Sandy said...

I SO need to learn to knit! Can't wait to see the final product.

Mama Pea said...

Love how Jack's hat is looking. What better time of year to knit than now? But how to choose . . . knitting? Quilting? Quilting? Knitting? How's about another crocheted rug? Or . . . ?

P.S. E-mail forthcoming this weekend. Can't find enough hours in a day!

P.P.S. So, so happy your posting again. [No pressure. ;o)]

fiona@fionacampbell.ca said...

Sandy -- careful what you wish for... it's addictive! I love quick projects like hats... except these are the ones that keep me knitting into the wee hours of the night! When you're so close to being done, what's one more hour of lost sleep?

Mama Pea -- I love knitting this time of year. I have too many "want to do" projects on my list, though! I've always wanted to learn quilting, but I've put that on my future "to learn" list. Same with crochet. And yet, just this morning, I was looking at the barn and thinking, "I could totally make room for a few sheep in here" for when I learn how to shear, then spin, then dye... I am my own worst enemy!!! And yes, it feels really great to be blogging again. It makes me happy. Just hope I can keep it up!

Related Posts with Thumbnails