Sunday, July 5, 2009

Stopping to smell the flowers

After my last post, a good friend of mine reminded me that sometimes, I've got to just stop and smell the flowers.

She wrote, "Love what you're doing there on the farm, but don't kill yourself doing it."

Wise words indeed.

For a long time, I haven't been very good at stopping. There's always something that "needs" doing and since moving to the farm, that list of "somethings" is considerable.

But she -- and other people who have told me this before -- is right. It's okay to actually enjoy myself sometimes and everything doesn't need to be done right now. Life is too short for that sort of thinking, right?

So in honour of that advice, I'd like to share some photos I took in the spring.


What I like about these is not just the aesthetic beauty of the subject, but also the focus. Each photo highlights a special flower that caught my eye in the garden.

What you don't see are the weeds and the overgrown grass all around it.


But as Lucas always tells me, your focus determines your reality: it's impossible to enjoy the garden if all I see are the weeds. But, if I chose to focus on the flowers then I can take absolute pleasure in their fleeting beauty.


1 comment:

Thistledog said...

Beautiful photos. I concur with your good friend's advice, and your husband's phrase, "focus determines your reality" is right on the mark.

Related Posts with Thumbnails